IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Finance
Bison Fire Protection is a twenty-year-old, full-service fire protection company incorporated and headquartered in Winnipeg, Manitoba. Bison installs, inspects and services best-in-class equipment in suppression, alarm, and sprinkler systems, backed by a fully certified team of technicians. Bison is one of the largest regional providers of fire protection services in its trade area, servicing customers across all of Manitoba and Saskatchewan. The company is well positioned as a foundation for future growth – both organically and through acquisition.
Bison Fire Protection currently requires an experienced Controller to bring proven skills, enhancing our growth trajectory. Under the direction of the Director of Finance and working collaboratively with the Senior Management team, this role is responsible for full cycle financial accounting management; integrity and accuracy of company financial data; timely financial reporting to the President and external parties as required; operational budgets for all divisions and regional offices; cash flow management and forecasts as well as preparation of year-end working papers for the external accountant firm for year-end financial statement preparation in a timely and effective manner. The Controller is to ensure that year-end adjustments and reconciliations are completed in the internal company accounting records to coincide with externally prepared Review Engagement Financial Statements.
The Controller is to co-manage company technology requirements and technical issues with the support of external service providers and the Winnipeg Office and Operations Manager. The Controller must ensure satisfactory data integrity, back-up of data, and data storage and verify that system security is adequate and in place at all times as well as enforcement of Company electronic resource policies with all staff.
TOP DAILY PRIORITIES
• Performance of all managerial accounting activities
• Effective supervision and performance monitoring of accounting and office staff to ensure all paperwork is flowing properly and in a time-sensitive manner
• Proactively monitor daily customer billings, monthly customer statements, accounts receivable collection activities and bank deposits
• Meet internal and external financial reporting and work performance deadlines
• Co-manage computer system and Accounting/Quickbooks IT-related issues as they arise
• Resolve any urgent issues as they arise
• Work closely with owner and management to facilitate efficient and effective accounting processes.
• Become administrator of accounting and service system, ensuring financial processes are operating efficiently.
• Prepare regular management reporting, including variance analysis, dashboard and other KPI’s.
• Guide all operations of the finance department, including accounts payable, accounts receivable, invoicing & collections, while maintaining internal controls.
• Prepare monthly, quarterly, and annual government filings and submit them in a timely manner.
• Create and manage the annual budget and forecasts, using tools to ensure we are on track.
• Evaluate, implement, and streamline current practices and procedures.
• Responsible for month-end and year-end close of income statements, balance sheets, account reconciliations and GL analysis explaining what numbers reveal to all stakeholders.
• Work with external accountants to produce year-end tax returns.
• Able to perform additional tasks beyond formal job duties.
• CPA designation preferred
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience
• Strong technical accounting & finance knowledge.
• Exceptional cost accounting and financial analysis capabilities.
• Ability to make decisions and meet critical deadlines.
• Strong interpersonal and communications skills with the ability to work in a team environment.
• Proven skills in generating value for growth companies.
• Self-motivated with a results-oriented approach.
• Attention to detail with a high degree of accuracy.
• Accountability, strong prioritization skills, and the ability to meet deadlines.
• Creative and critical thinker, highly motivated, with the ability to adapt to challenges.
Resumes can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those candidates selected for interviews will be contacted.